Geschichte des camping Fontaine Vieille
A bit of history...
Campsite Fontaine Vieille was originally a sawmill of 99 hectares, created by Lieutenant Colonel Henri Wurtz. Today, the boulevard leading to the campsite bears his name. When he passed away, the Lieutenant's nephew inherited the land and took care of the exploitation.
But in 1949, a fire ravaged two thirds of the property. And three years later, the timber business went through a severe crisis which caused the stock market prices to collapse. The sawmill quickly ran out of business. A solution had to be found to face this situation and restore the property's activity.
Every summer, people from Bordeaux took the habit of camping massively near the property, mostly because of its location near the sea and the Arcachon basin. The director of the property saw the opportunity, and created a campsite to replace the old sawmill.
After a few works, especially the building of an artesian well and a shower, the campsite was officially opened in 1954 under its current name, "Camping Fontaine Vieille", by the prefecture of Gironde, the mayor of Andernos-les-Bains and Touring Club de France.
Since then, the campsite has constantly evolved to bring new assets, in order to further improve the campers' comfort.